Employer: ABI in cooperation with Vivan Therapeutics
WorkPlace: ABI (Yerevan)
Format: full employment
Working Hours: full-time
Working language: English
Application Deadline: July 15, 2023
Working hours: Standard Armenian Working hours with partial adaptation to London time for remote meetings (YVN time – 4 hours)
Remuneration: Will meet standards in industry according to the candidates’ qualifications
Vivan Therapeutics is a young company located in London/UK. Vivan develops personalized treatments against cancer, based on patients’ genetic profiles. ABI cooperates with Vivan by providing expertise in bio-data science and cancer bioinformatics. The candidate’s major tasks comprise the development of a computational pipeline for personalized diagnostics and treatment decisions based on biomedical and genomic data from different sources. The candidates will be embedded in an international team of life scientists located in Yerevan at ABI and remotely in London. We accept applicants from abroad.
We are looking for an experienced bioinformatician to join our data science and engineering team. You will lead the automation of our processing pipelines for next generation whole exome sequencing (WES) and whole-genome sequencing (WGS) data. The ideal candidate for this position will be a methodical problem-solver with a keen interest in human cancer biology. Reporting to the CTO of Vivan Therapeutics, and locally to Dr. Hans Binder at ABI, this role will focus on collaborating and sharing knowledge with our data scientists, bioinformaticians, and lab scientists. There will also be many opportunities to grow and learn from our multidisciplinary team in areas of engineering such as serverless cloud architecture, security, and data privacy.
- Analyze and interpret whole-exome sequencing (WES) and whole-genome sequencing (WGS) experiments for the identification of cancer driver mutations/genes, copy number variants (CNVs), and structural variants (SVs).
- Develop data analysis workflows and pipelines for high-throughput genomic data.
- Work with software developers to build a cancer knowledge base.
- Proficiency in a programming language such as Python or Java.
- Experience working with databases such as PostgreSQL or MongoDB is a plus.
- Experience in processing, visualizing, mining, and statistical analysis of high throughput genomic data.
- Postgraduate degree in computational biology or bioinformatics or equivalent.
- Knowledge of cancer research projects, cancer biology, large-scale genetic databases and biobanks, pharmacogenomics, advanced statistics, or experience working with a cloud platform (such as AWS or Google Cloud) is a bonus.
- Good communication skills and excellent knowledge of English.
What we Offer
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage.
- A flexible work schedule, combining the best of both worlds with a hybrid work format that offers on-site and remote work options.
- A corporate sports package to promote your physical health and overall well-being․
- Interdisciplinary and international work environment.
The Armenian Bioinformatics Institute (ABI) is a dynamic scientific-educational foundation dedicated to advancing data-centric research in life sciences. ABI’s research portfolio is diverse, encompassing genomics across plants, animals, and humans. We not only develop innovative algorithms and software tools but also apply them to life sciences, medicine, and biotechnology. In addition to conducting foundational research, ABI offers specialized research services to biotech companies. Furthermore, we are committed to nurturing future talent through a range of educational programs, thereby cultivating the next generation of bioinformatics specialists.