The Advanced Molecular Biology course by Dr. Meri Hovsepyan covers the core concepts of molecular and cellular biology, genomes and genetic mechanisms, and much more. The course takes 12 months to complete and will be instructed every week starting from January 2022. The language of instruction is Armenian, however, the educational materials are in English. It is essential for the students to know English.
Dr. Meri Hovsepyan is a molecular biology researcher and an educator with more than 15 years of experience in the field. She has obtained her Ph.D. from the Institute of Molecular Biology NAS RA and a Master’s degree in Applied Educational Leadership from the University of London. Her academic path has followed a route through Armenia, United Kingdom, Finland, Sweden, Netherlands, India and more. Now she is the Director of Academic Affairs in the “Ayb” School and is leading biology related courses and qualification programs in the “Ayb” school, as well as in the EU4innovation and other projects designed to improve the quality of STEM education in general education in Armenia, and an adjunct lecturer of “Molecular and cellular biology” at American University of Armenia.
Students who complete the course not only learn about advanced topics and concepts of molecular biology but also develop a biological way of thinking – an important step towards a career in bioinformatics and/or life sciences. The course is beginner-friendly, but the learning outcomes are advanced-level.
Who is the Course For?
This course is for ambitious students and researchers who wish to gain in-depth, advanced knowledge in Molecular Biology.
For the completion of the course, it is crucial that students have a good command of English to read and comprehend the course material.
Below is a summary of the topics covered in the course.
Module 1: Introduction to the Cell
- Cells and Genomes
- Cell Chemistry and Biosynthesis
Module 2: Basic Genetic Mechanisms
- DNA, Chromosomes, and Genomes
- DNA Replication, Repair, and Recombination
- How Cells Read the Genome: From DNA to Protein
- Control of Gene Expression
Module 3: Methods
- Manipulating Proteins, DNA, and RNA
- Visualizing Cells
Module 4: Internal Organization of the Cell
- Membrane Structure
- Membrane Transport of Small Molecules and the Electrical Properties of Membranes
- Intracellular Compartments and Protein Sorting
- Intracellular Vesicular Traffic
- Energy Conversion: Mitochondria and Chloroplasts
- Mechanisms of Cell Communication
- The Cytoskeleton
- The Cell Cycle
Module 5: Cells in their Social Context
- Cell Junctions, Cell Adhesion, and the Extracellular Matrix
- Sexual Reproduction: Meiosis, Germ Cells, and Fertilization
- Development of Multicellular Organisms
- Specialized Tissues, Stem Cells, and Tissue Renewals
- Pathogens, Infection, and Innate Immunity
- The Adaptive Immune System
Those who wish to enroll must fill out this form. The registration deadline is December 12th, 11:59 PM Yerevan time. Please keep in mind that the course takes 12 months to complete.
Venue and Details
Start date: January 13th, 2022, 5 PM Yerevan time
End date: December 22, 2022
Monthly payments* of 10.000 AMD should be made via bank transfer. Bachelor’s or Master’s students have a 50% discount. The details will be sent out to selected participants.
*The fee includes access to educational materials and resources (books, laboratory equipment, etc.), supporting accessories, snacks, etc.
Upon completion, participation in the course will be certified.