Dr. Meri Hovsepyan
Dr. Meri Hovsepyan is a molecular biology researcher and an educator with more than 15 years of experience in the field. She has obtained her Ph.D. from the Institute of Molecular Biology NAS RA and a Master’s degree in Applied Educational Leadership from the University of London. Her academic path has followed a route through Armenia, United Kingdom, Finland, Sweden, Netherlands, India and more. Now she is the Director of Academic Affairs in the “Ayb” School and is leading biology related courses and qualification programs in the “Ayb” school, as well as in the EU4innovation and other projects designed to improve the quality of STEM education in general education in Armenia, and an adjunct lecturer of “Molecular and cellular biology” at American University of Armenia.
Original Articles and chapters in books:
- Boyajyan, A., Hovsepyan, M., Arakelova, E. & Tsakanova, G. Neuroimmune Alterations in Diabetes: Implications to Molecular Pathomechanisms of Complications. Research on Diabetes II. ISBN: 978-1-922227-48-5. iConcept Press.
- Chavushyan A., Hovsepyan M., Boyajyan A.. Cryoglobulins as Potential Triggers of Inflammation in Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research and Treatment. Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 125264.
- Ovsepyan M.R., Ebragimzade M.G., Gabrielyan A.B., Ogensyan M.G., Gevorkyan A.A., Mamikonyan A.A., Boyadzhyan A.S.. Anomalus lipoprotein-X in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Problemy endokrinologii (Problems of Endocrinology). 2012, N4(58), p.18-21.
- Arakelova E.A., Ovsepyan M.R., Boyadzhyan A.S., Arakelyan A.A., Gevorkyan A.A., Mamikonyan A.A.. The membrane attack complex as an indicator of complement hyperactivation type 2 diabetes melltus. Sakharni diabet (Diabetes mellitus) (Moscow), N3 (2011), p.17-20.
- Thörn K., Hovsepyan M., Bergsten P.. Reduced levels of SCD1 accentuate palmitate-induced stress in insulin-producing β-cells. Lipids in Health and Disease. 2010, Sep 29; 9:108.
- Hovsepyan M., Sargsyan E., Bergsten P.. Palmitate-induced changes in protein expression of insulin secreting INS-1E cells. J. Proteomics. 2010, 73; 1148-1155.
- Sol E., Hovsepyan M., Bergsten P.. Proteins altered by elevated levels of palmitate or glucose implicated in impaired glucose-stimulated insulin secretion. Proteome Sci. 2009 Jul 16;7:24.
- Boyajyan A.S., Arakelova E.A., Ayvazyan V.A., Mktrchyan G.M., Tsakanova G.V., Avetisyan G.V., Hovhannisyan L.P., Khoyetsyan A.G., Manukyan L.A., Arakelyan A.A., Hovsepyan M.R., Mayilyan K.R., Hakobyan S.S.. Relationships between postischemic inflammatory response and alterations in blood brain barrier integrity. Blood, 2007, 1(5), 45-54.
- Hovsepyan M., Boyajyan A., Hovhanisyan L.. Activation of complement by the classical and alternative pathways in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus with long duration. Problemy endokrinologii (Problems of Endocrinology) (Moscow), 6(2006), p14-17.
- Hovhannisyan L.P., Hovsepyan M.R., Boyajyan A.S., Guevorkyan A.A., Mamikonyan A.A.. Activation of complement by the classical and alternative pathways in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus with long duration. Gitutiun ev tekhnika (Science and technology) (Yerevan), N3 (2006), p.11-16.
- Mooradian A.D., Haas M.J., Batejko O., Hovsepyan M., Feman S.S.. Statins ameliorate endothelial barrier permeability changes in the cerebral tissue of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Diabetes, 54 (2005) p.2977–2982.
- Hovsepyan M.R., Haas M.J., Boyajyan A.S., Guevorkyan A.A., Mamikonyan A.A., Myers S.E., Mooradian A.D.. Astrocytic and neuronal biochemical markers in the sera of subjects with diabetes mellitus. Neurosci. Letters, 369 (2004) p. 224–227.
- Hovsepyan M., Boyajyan A., Aivazyan A., Mayilyan K., Guevorkyan A., Mamikonyan A.. Concentration of circulating immune complexes and dopamine-â-hydroxylase activity in blood of patients with long-term IDDM. Sakharni diabet (Diabetes mellitus) (Moscow), V.4, N17 (2002), p.44-45.
- Hovsepyan M., Boyajyan A., Haroutiunyan V., Hakobyan G., Guevorkyan A.. Protein Composition of Circulating Immune Complexes in Long-term Diabetes Mellitus. Westnik MANEB (St.Petersburg), V.7, N6 (54), (2002), p. 169-172.
- Hovsepyan M.. Dopamine-â-hydroxylase activity in blood of patients with IDDM. Collection of articles of the young researchers (Yerevan), V.1, N2 (2001), p.20-21.
- Chavushyan A.S., Hovhannisyan M.G., Hovsepyan M.R., Boyajyan A.S. Cryoglobulins of schizophrenia-affected subjects induce production of monocyte chemoatractant protein-1 by human peripheral mononuclear cells.// Perspectives for development of molecular and cellular biology-3, September 26-29, 2012, Yerevan, Armenia, p. 65-68.
- Hovsepyan M.R., Hovhannisyan M.G., Chavushyan A.S., Soghoyan A.H., Boyajyan A.S. Cryoglobulins from ischemic stroke patients induce production of proinflammatory cytokines by peripheral blood mononuclear cells.// Perspectives for development of molecular and cellular biology-3, September 26-29, 2012, Yerevan, Armenia, p. 125-130.
- Thörn K, Hovsepyan M and Bergsten P. SCD1 knockdown in the beta cell protects against apoptosis and improves ER folding capacity. Diabetologia 51: S315, 2008.
- M. Hovsepyan, P. Bergsten. Proteomic changes in Insulin secreting INS-1E cells.// Diabetologia (2007) 50:8[Suppl 1] S170.
- J. Westerlund, M. Hovsepyan, P. Lindström, P. Bergsten. The ob/ob mouse for studying b- cell proliferation. // Diabetologia (2007) 50:8[Suppl 1] S210.